Dallas / Fort Worth / DFW AREA PHOTOMETRIC STUDIES & SURVEYS AND EXTERIOR LIGHT / LIGHTING LEVEL TESTING
Light levels are also regulated as a minimum amount of ambient light is required for task lighting, surgical, patient and hospital environments, safety for street and residential illumination, parking lots, parking garages, emergency lighting, stairwells, exit signs, etc. Also, specific levels of lighting are measured in lux (metric per square meter) or candlepower (also known as foot candles which is a standard per square foot) are recommended for different types of tasks which vary from quality inspection to operating rooms.
Many cities such as McKinney, Heath, Frisco, Southlake, Prosper, Flower Mound, Euless, North Richland Hills, Keller, Grapevine, Allen, Rockwall, Richardson and Plano have exterior lighting / photometric illumination / glare ordinances which limit the amount of light which can emanate from the borders and perimeters of a property as well as the amount of lighting reflected from the ground. (glare) The amount allowed depends on how the neighborhood is zoned. (residential / light commercial, industrial etc.) Exterior parking lot lighting may cause excessive light to be transmitted through the windows of an adjacent bedroom window in which case light level testing is called for. In many cases the lighting survey data is compared to photometric maps prepared by a lighting or other relevant professional engineer.
Other aspects to consider are the total illumination output of the light (measured in foot candles or lumens) and distribution across the emitting surface, color temperature of light, (measured in K or Kelvin) diffusivity, distance from the light fixture to the surface(s) to be illuminated, the color, texture and composition of the surface(s) and type of lighting. (incandescent, fluorescent, halogen, LED, etc.)
ScanTech has light meters which are suitable for measuring virtually all forms of lighting including LED with color and cosine correction built in for greater accuracy in exterior lighting surveys.
Note, that ScanTech does NOT perform the function of generated calculated photometric plots which are typically submitted to the city for approval, but only performs as-built light level testing of existing installations. We can refer you to a PE firm for that particular function in the State of Texas. We are now being called upon to perform photometric surveys in other towns and greater Metro areas such as in northern Austin and San Antonio.
Need a Dallas / Fort Worth / DFW / Austin Area PHOTOMETRIC SURVEY QUOTE?
Please provide the following information:
1) Photometric lighting plan from the PE (Professional Engineer) showing the property layout, locations of fixtures and predicted light levels in candlepower which should look like this:
2) The photometric plan should either show the PROPERTY LINE demarcations as well OR you may need to submit a separate site plan which reflects the property boundaries as shown below:
3) Physical address of the target site for the exterior lighting survey and / or the nearest intersection and corner of that intersection as many new builds do not show up in Google Maps
4) Nature (restaurant, warehouse, etc.) and the NAME of the business (“Texoma Children’s Hospital”, “American Steel Foundry Unlimited”)
5) Verify that ALL exterior lighting including individual bulbs / fixtures / circuit breakers, etc. are working to avoid charges for extra trip fees. Please note any change orders where fixtures are moved, added or deleted to avoid confusion. Also, is the lighting on a timer or otherwise needs to be manually controlled?
6) Are you the General Contractor OR the Owner of the business requiring the photometric survey? Please give your name, title or position, company name, email address and the best phone number(s) and when to reach you
7) How soon you need the survey (notice that photometric surveys are subject to weather conditions and visibility with a minimum of 6 nautical miles so it cannot be done on rainy nights)
8) Any special access to the site such as gates, locks, key lock boxes, access codes and / or a contact person to meet onsite if necessary as well as security personnel and security monitoring companies that should be notified in advance of any photometric surveys taking place
9) Form of payment preferred and for any Certificate of Occupancy work, we request payment upon receipt of the report – generally a credit card number charged at the time the report is sent.
10a) For photometric surveys for the City of McKinney, the Project Name and Permit Number are also required for the Letter of Compliance which ScanTech already has a Word template of.
10b) For a photometric survey for the City of Plano, the as built survey performed by ScanTech must be stamped by a PE. (Professional Engineer) The best PE to ask is the one who designed the calculated lighting photometric map and their name should be on the stamped seal.
10c) For a photometric survey for the City of Grapevine, the as built survey performed by ScanTech must be stamped by a PE (Professional Engineer) OR a Master Electrician can sign off on the survey.
Datalogging light levels over long spans of time to see lighting level trends or shorter intervals to determine flicker rates are also available services.
INTERIOR LIGHTING FLICKER RATES AND WAVELENGTHS
Flicker rates can cause headaches and fatigue, impair productivity and be indicative of faulty lighting equipment which can propagate or indicate EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) from other sources present in your facility.
Excess radiated light at the wrong times of day (particularly the shorter wavelengths) can interfere with melatonin synthesis, circadian rhythms and create issues with insomnia, lack of restful REM sleep, unnecessary fatigue and a general lack of alertness. This is a genuine health hazard that broadly affects the quality of life from proper immune system function to increased risk of accidents.
ULTRAVIOLET RADIATION (UV) LIGHT INTENSITY SURVEYS & STUDIES
ScanTech can measure light levels that are normally invisible such as in the UV-A / UV-B (also known as UVA and UVB) spectrums which comprise wavelengths from 280 nm – 390 nm (nanometer) and the important part of the UVC / UV-C spectrum which is considered to be in the range of 100 nm – 280 nm and is often used for germicidal / sterilization processes such as the 254 nm band.
While useful for many forensic and industrial / medical processes, these wavelengths can cause damage to human skin, (skin cancer / melanoma) eyes from welding, paintings, artwork, historical museum pieces, fabrics and dyed products, rubber, polymers, etc.
If you require consultation for either health & safety, the preservation of materials (either modern or of historical significance such as artifacts) or need to gauge the exposures / effectiveness of an ultraviolet related application or impacted environment, then contact ScanTech.
ScanTech services and consults in the Dallas – Houston – Austin – Fort Worth and San Antonio metropolitan regions in Texas and beyond.
LIGHTING LEVEL / PHOTOMETRIC CALCULATORS
Plano, Highland Park, University Park, Park Cities, Las Colinas, Arlington, Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Grapevine, Frisco, Denton, McKinney, Allen, Lewisville, Irving, Mesquite, Bedford, Euless, Richardson, Coppell, Grand Prairie, Garland, Addison, Farmers Branch, Rockwall, Carrollton, Parker, Rowlett, Lucas, Fairview, Park Cities, Keller, Roanoke, The Colony, Highland Village, Lake Dallas, Corinth, Prosper, Duncanville, Lancaster, Rowlett, Royse City, Princeton, Trophy Club, Southlake, Hurst and the general DFW area. Now expanding services to the Austin and San Antonio areas.
All information on this website either written or implied is the express opinion of ScanTech Technical Consulting. ScanTech Technical Consulting and it’s owners are not responsible or liable for any damages arising from the misuse, misinterpretation or other consequences of the content of this website either in part or in whole. This includes all external weblinks, PDF documents, photos or other references (informational or otherwise) to 3rd parties including government agencies, health organizations, etc.
15770 Dallas Pkwy Suite # 900 Dallas, TX 75248 (Not Accepting Visitors due to C19)
ScanTech Technical Consulting: Professional Electromagnetic EMF EMI Testing for Biomedical Implant & Equipment, Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) Testing & Environmental Inspections
COPYRIGHT 2002 – 2023